Search for Names
Last Name:
First Name:


Our Family Genealogy Pages

James Strong - Life Sketch

Taken from

Published by the Jacob Strong Family Association (1980)

Printer Friendly

Very little is known of the parentage or birthplace of James Strong, there are several
hypotheses, but no actual facts. The following is what we have accumulated as viable, probable information on the life of James Strong.

Data on record concerning James Strong, original settler of Strongstown, Indiana County,
Pennsylvania, are as follows:

Born February 16, 1765—taken from tombstone.

1785—Private, York County Muster Roll of 6th Company Militia (possibly) Pa. Archives,
Vol. 3, p. 1475 see p. 75K.— James Sr. more likely.

1790—A James Sr. and James Jr. on tax list, York County. Sr. had 50 acres, 1 horse, 1
cow. Tax 2 pounds-35. Jr. had 50 acres. Tax 1 pound-103. (See photostatic copy. P. 70, Jacob Strong Family Record.) Verification by Samuel Helman.

1793—Married to Catherine Howard (James Strong's Temple Record). Marriage records
missing in First Lutheran Church at York, Pa. From 1770 to 1805.

The following is a list of their children. Their birth dates and places are included for your
1. Maria Barbara b. 3 June 1793 Chanceford twp., York, Pa.
2. Michael b. 4 October 1794 Chanceford twp., York Pa.
3. Elizabeth b. 16 June 1796 Chanceford twp., York, Pa.
4. Jacob b. 9 Oct. 1799 Lime York, York, Pa.
5. John b. 1 Sept. 1801 Lime York, York, Pa.
6. Catherine b. Sept. 1803 Lime York, York, Pa.
7. Susannah b. About 1805 Strongstown, Indiana, Pa.
8. Sarah b. 1 Mar. 1806 Strongstown, Indiana, Pa.
9. Margaret b. May 1809 Strongstown, Indiana, Pa.
10. Mary b. 1815 Strongstown, Indiana, Pa.

1796—30 Apr. Land purchase, Windsor Twp. (See below).

1800 Census, 1800 lists 2 boys and 1 girl under 10 years.

1801-Sept. 1, son John born, chr. June 27, 1802, at Canadochfy Church (Lutheran) 10 miles southeast of York, Pa.

1801—June 3, mortgage between James Strong and Matthias Becker, of Windsor township, is recorded in Deed Book K, page 273, York County, Pa. "James Strong stood bound unto Mathias Decker in the sum of 40 pounds gold or silver. James Strong for and in consideration of said debt or sum of 20 pounds payment sold, released and confirmed all that certain tract, situated in Windsor township, adjoining Philip Decker and Dietrich Walk, containing 17 and 3/4 acres—being the same land which Dietrich Walk and Elizabeth, his wife, deeded to James Strong, 30 April 1796, and being the same place whereon James Strong now dwells.
When said James Strong, his heirs, executors or administrators shall pay the sum of 20 pounds then the recited obligation shall cease and become absolutely void to all intents and purposes. Witnesses: John Morris Jr. and J. Bamitz James Strong signed his name in German. Matthias Becker, mortgagee, acknowledged full satisfaction of mortgage, 10 September 1807. (Frances Strong Helman)

1803—September, Daughter Catherine, born, chr. 23 Nov. 1803, First Lutheran Church of York.

1803—bought land in Wheatfield Township, Westmoreland County, Pa. which was in Indiana County, soon after, as Indiana County was formed from Westmoreland County 30 March 1803.Wheatfield was divided later and the land was in the new township of Brushvalley. James never lived in Westmoreland for he doesn't appear in assessments until 1807, but he owned the land however. (Frances Strong Helman)

1807—10 September 1807, Mathias Becker, mortgagee, acknowledged full satisfaction of mortgage, 10 September (see above). James Strong, Weaver, listed as taxable, 1807, Wheatfield Township, Indiana County, Pa.
From "Quarters Sessions Court Docket, Book 1" 'Among traverse jurors called for Court of Quarter Sessions, second Monday in June 1807 was.....James Strong'. (Frances Strong Helman)

1810—Michael Strong, a son of James Strong was born in York County, Pa. October 4, 1794. He migrated with his father's family to Indiana County, Pa. in 1810 and located in Buffington township etc. (From an old History of Indiana County, published in 1880.)

1817—December 15, James had 90 acres surveyed in Indiana County, (see Pa.
Archives, 3rd Series, Index 30, Vol. 26, p. 675)

1823—Strongstown was patented by John Evans for James Strong and James Hill And the first three houses were erected by Mr. Strong (see Hist. of Indiana County, published in 1880).
James and Catherine (Howard) Strong were charter members of the Brushvalley Lutheran Church which was the second oldest Lutheran Church in Indiana County.

1827—Rev. Nicholas G. Sharretts preached in Strongstown for the first time in the home of James and Catherine Strong etc. Services were conducted in German until 1827. .....Records poorly kept. (See History of the Evangelical Lutheran Churches of Indiana County, Pa. Let. 44).

1832—Log Church was built in Strongstown, and the ground was purchased from James Hill and James Strong for $10 by Jacob Strong and George Mardis, Sr., acting trustees for the church. Deed dated July 13, 1833 (Above reference).

1833—James Strong and wife Catherine taking sacrament and listed among the 24 persons mentioned which at that time constituted the original membership of the St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church. James and Catherine belonged to the Brushvalley branch. (Above ref.)

1836—Wheatfield Township was divided and James' property was then in the new Brushvalley Twp.

1837—February 6, Will dated. See copy. March 5 died and was buried at Strongstown (see picture of Tombstone Jacob Strong Record).

1852—James's wife Catherine died. She gave her age in the 1850 census as 94 years. She was listed as owning 300 acres and Mary Schultz, 18 years old, was living with her. Presumably her granddaughter, who was the daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Strong) Schultz.

1852—Final settlement of James Strong estate. (From Orphan's Court Docket - Book 4, p. 238) see Jacob Strong Record. See year 1803 from p. 1. From THE VILLAGE POST, published by the Strongstown Village, Strongstown, Pa. Homecoming & Historical Society Vol. L No. 1, Jan. 1966.

1803—"A historical society report would not be complete without a bit of history. Such things should begin at home so we offer this data about this village: On August 2, 1800, Thomas Patterson bought 400 acres of land from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and on December 29, 1803 he sold 100 acres of this tract to James Strong for $133.33. The only neighbor mentioned as adjoining the tract was John Skyles. Witnesses to the deed
were John Armstrong and Benoni Williams. The deed recorded in the courthouse, Indiana, Deed Book 2, page 230, states both parties were of Wheatfield Township, Westmoreland county, (Indiana county was formed this year). Thomas Patterson and his wife Jane appeared before Joseph McCartney, township and county aforesaid and acknowledged this to be their word and deed. The village was not laid out until 1823.''


This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2004.